In 2018, Valletta will hold the title of European Capital of Culture. The ECoC will include all the Maltese Islands, with an aim to spread the impacts throughout the whole Maltese territory. The Valletta 2018 Foundation is responsible for the implementation of the Cultural Programme, which will enable the participation of the citizens of Malta and Europe and will form an integral and sustainable part of the long-term social, economic and cultural development of Valletta.
The Valletta 2018 Foundation is seeking the services of an Assistant to a Curator to work with an International Curator on a large-scale exhibition. The ideal candidate would have a strong background in contemporary art, combined with extensive practical experience, as well as a hard-working attitude and an ability to work unsupervised.
Hours will be flexible, and are envisaged to begin on a part-time basis, but intensify in the run up to 2018.
Duties would include;
- Assisting the Curator with administrative and managerial tasks;
- Keeping track of expenditure and budgets and adhering to correct procurement procedures;
- Liaising between the Curator and the Valletta 2018 Executive Team on all aspects including administration and communication;
- Liaising between the Curator and various artists as necessary;
- Assisting the Curator with research, contacting possible research partners;
- Coordinating with technicians to set up work, securing venues for use, liaising with artists;
- Coordinating the drafting and closing of contracts and agreements;
- Liaising with multiple stakeholders as necessary;
- Reporting when requested to the Executive Director or Chairman of the Foundation.
Experience and Qualifications
The Curator’s Assistant will have the following experience and qualifications:
Good verbal, written and computer skills;
Ability to communicate fluently in English, Maltese and ideally another European language;
A minimum of three years’ experience of working in a busy office environment;
A minimum of EQF Level 5 Education in a relevant subject;
A strong understanding of the contemporary arts sector;
Driving License and own transport;
Solid basic accounting skills.
This post is a contract for service contract on a definite basis.
Interested applicants are to send an application letter together with a copy of their Curriculum Vitae on firstname.lastname@example.org by not later than Friday 30th September, at noon.
Applicants should clearly specify they are applying for the post of ‘Assistant to a Curator’ in the subject of their email.
Only those with the necessary qualifications, knowledge or experience need apply.