Valletta 2018 would like to receive proposals from musicians, event organisers and creatives for musical and music-related events and projects to form part of the Valletta 2018 Music Programme.
In less than 12 months, Valletta will hold the title of European Capital of Culture 2018. The Valletta 2018 Foundation is responsible for the implementation of this title, and the creation of an exciting, contemporary programme with empowerment, engagement and participation at its heart.
Musicians, event organisers and creatives are invited to submit their proposals for music-related events and projects to take place during 2018 and to form part of this programme; successful proposals will be awarded a grant of up to €6,000 and will feature in the Valletta 2018 calendar of events.
Proposals will be assessed by the following criteria;
- by their experimental nature;
- by their spirit of collaboration between different types of music or creative discipline;
- by their participatory nature;
- by the overall quality of the proposal.
Preference will be given to proposals that;
- use unusual concepts or venues;
- are created or programmed by young people;
- include a collaboration between musicians from Malta and the Mediterranean, particularly from the Arab Region;
- look outward from Malta towards Europe and the world;
- refer to the Valletta 2018 Programme Narrative and Themes (see website).
Proposals can include, but are not limited to;
- a proposal created by an existing band or group of musicians;
- a proposal as part of an existing event or festival;
- a completely new event or project.
Proposals can be submitted online at http://valletta2018.org/music-application/ by not later than noon on Monday, May 22, 2017. Early submissions are encouraged. For further information kindly send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Opening of Call||Friday 07 April 2017|
|Deadline for submission of queries||Friday 28 April 2017 at noon|
|Deadline for submission of proposals||Monday 22 May 2017 at noon|
|Notification of pitching session (if applicable)||Friday 26 May 2017|
|Pitching Sessions (if applicable)||Wednesday 31May2017|
|Publication of final decision||No later than Friday 09 June|
|Contracts agreed with successful applicants||No later than Friday 23 June|
|Submission of 5 high-res images for communications purposes||No later than Friday 16 June|
How to Apply
Proposals can be submitted online at http://valletta2018.org/music-application/.
A budget template available on the same page must be downloaded, filled in correctly and submitted with the proposal.
Rules and Regulations
- Proposals will be evaluated in accordance with the criteria given in the call by a panel from the Programme Department of the Valletta 2018 Foundation.
- The panel’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into following its decision.
- The panel reserves the right to invite applicants to a pitching session which will be held on Wednesday 31stMay 2017 but is not obliged to do so.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age by submission of proposal.
- Applicants can be of any nationality however the event or project proposed must take place in Malta and include a Maltese collaboration.
- The event or project proposed must take place during 2018.
- Successful events and projects must be produced in their entirety by the applicant, and no production or logistical assistance will be provided by the Valletta 2018 Foundation.
- No responsibility will be accepted by the Valletta 2018 Foundation for the mismanagement of event or project production.
- The Valletta 2018 Foundation will not be held liable for any loss or damages caused by the applicant.
- Should a successful proposal not be produced, all funds must be returned to the Valletta 2018 Foundation by 31st December 2018.
- Any successful events or projects must abide by the Valletta 2018 Foundation’s communications guidelines.
Successful proposals will form part of the Valletta 2018 Music Programme, and will benefit from the following communications;
- Inclusion in the 2018 Programme Publication to be issued in October 2017;
- Inclusion in subsequent publications as relevant;
- An event page on the Valletta 2018 Website;
- Social Media support.
A total of €72,000 is available for the call.
A maximum of 12 grants of up to €6,000 each will be awarded.
The Valletta 2018 Foundation reserves the right to retain all or part of this amount if proposals received are not of a sufficiently high quality.