Curatorial School 2016: Curating the New
Monday 29th August-Friday 2nd September, 2016
The Curatorial School boasts a one-week intensive lecture programme featuring international guest speakers from various institutions organised by Valletta 2018. The School is intended for practitioners and students in a variety of related areas like the fine arts, art education, arts administration, curation and history of art.
The theme for this year’s Curatorial School is Curating the New, which focuses on the meaning of the ‘new’ in contemporary art and curatorial practices. The lecture programme will touch on a variety of topics such as:
- the commissioning of new work from artists
- the re-staging of historical exhibitions
- the negotiation of ideas between artists and curators
- the use of new media in exhibitions, artistic autonomy
- the ‘uses’of art
- locally engaged art projects
- the rhetoric of immateriality in contemporary art
- references to many specific exhibitions or international venues such as Art Rotterdam, the Berlin Biennale and Arts Maebashi
A series of workshops will also be part of the programme, offering participants the opportunity to make their own curatorial presentations or respond to tasks put forward by guest curators.