Have Your Project Endorsed!
The Valletta 2018 Foundation is responsible for Valletta’s journey towards the title of the European Capital of Culture in Malta in 2018. The Foundation was responsible for the bidding process starting with the pre-selection phase in January 2012, the final selection in October 2012 and the official declaration by the Council of Ministers in May 2013.
The Valletta 2018 Foundation has strong support from a range of important stakeholders and a sound, transparent governance structure: both aspects are essential to seeing Valletta 2018 become a successful and sustainable reality. In 2014 the Valletta 2018 Foundation continued its preparations for the title of European Capital of Culture 2018 by expanding its cultural programme, strengthening its administrative structures, increasing its efforts in communicating and engaging with the public, and developing its research programme.
Through the years, a number of third party projects have been featuring in the Cultural Programme alongside other bidbook projects. This document provides guidance about the endorsement process and terms and conditions.
What is a Valletta 2018 Foundation Endorsement?
Endorsement is a process whereby third party producers/collaborators can gain a mark of quality from the Valletta 2018 Foundation for their artistic/entrepreneurial/cultural projects. Endorsement is for the shared benefit of the Foundation, the service providers and stakeholders, with no financial or legal obligation involved. This is achieved by offering quality assurance of the projects to all involved.
In granting endorsement and release of its “Endorsed by Valletta 2018” logo, the Valletta 2018 Foundation is confirming that the content and format of the endorsed projects are appropriate to the subject matter and intended audience.
The Endorsement Program will be exclusively administered and coordinated by the Valletta 2018 Foundation.
Benefits of Endorsement
In gaining endorsement from the Valletta 2018 Foundation the service provider will benefit from:
- Free listing in the Valletta 2018 Social Media platforms
- Permission to use the ENDORSED BY Valletta 2018 logo (Available in B&W here and in colour here)
- Letter of endorsement from the Valletta 2018 Foundation
- A mark of quality assurance that can be evidenced in marketing/advertising campaigns for the duration of the agreed endorsement period
- Added value for participants in the currency of the experience due to the Valletta 2018 endorsement logo, a recognised mark of quality that carries a European status
- A historic post-2018 legacy which results from the association to the ‘official’ Valletta 2018 Cultural Programme
An endorsement means any communications message (including verbal statements, demonstrations, or depictions of the name, signature, likeness or other identifying personal characteristics of the Valletta 2018 Foundation) which audiences are likely to believe reflects the opinions, beliefs, findings, or experiences of the Foundation, even if the views expressed by that producer are identical to those of the Foundation.
To be considered for endorsement by the Valletta 2018 Foundation, the applicant must demonstrate that the proposed project meets the following required criteria and must include any of the recommended goals or characteristics outlined below. Priority will be given to projects that meet multiple goals. Endorsed projects will have the ability to generate community awareness and encourage participation in the European Capital of Culture ethos and the Valletta 2018 Capital of Culture celebrations. They need to deliver contemporary content that is in-line with evidence base, best practice and guidelines and through a clear non-partisan nature that is inclusive and accessible to the community.
Projects must target all or most of the criteria that are fundamental for the Foundation’s goals namely:
- City and Citizenship
- foster the participation of the citizens living in Malta, and its Euro-Med context to raise their interest as well as the interest of citizens from all over the globe;
- be sustainable and be an integral part of the long-term cultural and social development of the city.
- European Dimension
- foster cooperation between cultural operators, artists and cities from the involved Member States and other countries in any cultural sector;
- highlight the richness of cultural diversity in Europe;
- bring the common aspects of European cultures to the fore
- implement a long-term strategy capable of generating sustainable results related to cultural, economic and social aspects;
- a clear and coherent artistic vision and strategy for the cultural programme;
- the involvement of local artists and cultural organisations in the conception and implementation of the cultural programme;
- the overall artistic quality through the diverse disciplines involved
- the capacity to combine local cultural heritage and traditional art forms with new, innovative and experimental cultural expressions.
- the range and diversity of the activities proposed and their overall artistic innovation;
The Valletta 2018 Foundation requires that consideration of the following elements must be explicitly demonstrated through a portfolio of works.
- The content of the endorsed project and/or activity must contribute to the development of the audience reached. Thus its artistic, academic and/or cultural rigour must be appropriate for its intended audience, and should be clearly defined.
- Whilst there is no stipulation regarding persons involved in development of course material, the Valletta 2018 Foundation requires evidence that the endorsed content has been produced in collaboration with or peer reviewed by an appropriate curator/ Such process MUST be undertaken prior to the submission of application for the Valletta 2018 Foundation endorsement.
- The production team behind the endorsed project must be appropriately qualified and/or experienced as determined by the Valletta 2018 Foundation on receipt of Curriculum Vitaes. The Valletta 2018 Foundation will seek assurance that those involved in project delivery have appropriate teaching or training experience and/or qualifications.
Duration of endorsement
- An endorsement is valid for a period discussed and agreed between the proposing individual or organisation and the Valletta 2018 Foundation. In the case that the project is longer than one year then endorsement is valid for a period of one year unless otherwise agreed. When the endorsement has expired and if there are no changes to the content or delivery of the project, the endorsement will be confirmed. Otherwise, the Valletta 2018 Foundation will re-examine the changes and act accordingly.
- If endorsement is not confirmed after that period, all references to Valletta 2018 Foundation endorsement must be immediately removed from promotional or projects material.
Use of Endorsement Logo
All printed and internet material relating to an endorsed project must be approved by the Valletta 2018 Foundation and must feature the “Endorsed by Valletta 2018” logo.
The “Endorsed by Valletta 2018” logo must be placed at the bottom of the artwork along with other logos of supporters/sponsors of the event, making sure to have enough clear space as required.
The “Endorsed by Valletta 2018” logos are available for download from https://valletta2018.org/media
Any artwork containing the “Endorsed by Valletta 2018 logo” must be approved by Valletta 2018 by sending an email to [email protected] prior to publishing.
Promotion of the Valletta 2018 brand
Events related to an endorsed project should feature the Valletta 2018 brand. This can be done by carrying out one or more of the following:
- Displaying one or more pop up banners provided by the Foundation
- Include a projection of the Valletta 2018 logo at the beginning and end of a presentation
- Delivering Valletta 2018 branded material or merchandising to participants
- Mentioning the Valletta 2018 endorsement during introductory and concluding statements
- Hosting the Valletta 2018 information booth
Terms and Conditions
The Valletta 2018 Foundation is not responsible for the delivery of any part of the endorsed activity.
The Valletta 2018 Foundation accepts no responsibility for how the content of the endorsed activity might be interpreted by the individual(s) participants and how the individual(s) may apply the knowledge/experience gained.
Documentation of endorsed projects by the Valletta 2018 Foundation must clearly state endorsement by the use of the endorsement logo.
Endorsement applies only to the project and not to any individual who participates in it.
The Valletta 2018 Foundation reserves the right at all times and under any circumstances to refuse or remove endorsement of a project.
Valletta 2018 Foundation reserves the right to withdraw endorsement in response to:
- participant feedback, professional body or specialist group concerns
- association to or endorsement by any other organisation that would somehow hinder the purpose of this agreement
- any significant changes to content;
- any significant changes to the delivery format;
- failure to disclose significant changes to the Valletta 2018 Foundation;
- misuse of Valletta 2018 Foundation endorsement logo
- Concerns raised regarding the programme / evidence base.
A judgement will be taken only after full investigation by the Valletta 2018 Foundation. The Valletta 2018 Foundation will not be required to give a reason for such a withdrawal. Use of the Valletta 2018 logo would be suspended for the duration of the investigation.
Endorsement only applies to those projects that are granted such preference by the Valletta 2018 Foundation. No other individual/organisation may use the Valletta 2018 Foundation logo or any other related communication without written permission by the same.
The Valletta 2018 Foundation has drawn up an Environmental Policy that will be applied to all of the projects it is creating and managing. For projects endorsed by the Foundation, while there is no contractual obligation to following such a policy, it is expected that any staff working on the project should carry out their work in an environmentally friendly manner.
Deadline for Applications
To ensure a smooth process, applications must be submitted within two months before the starting date of the project to [email protected].
Preferably to make the most out of the Endorsement, applicants should submit their applications at least one month before the publication of any marketing material.
Applications received after these specifications will be classed as ‘late’ applications, and may not be processed.
If you have any queries regarding the endorsement process or your application, please contact us at:
Valletta 2018 Foundation
The Exchange Buildings
Valletta VLT 1117
Tel: +356 2124 2018
Email: [email protected]