In 2018, Valletta will hold the title of European Capital of Culture. The ECoC will include all the Maltese Islands, with an aim to spread the impacts throughout the whole Maltese territory.
The Valletta 2018 Foundation is responsible for the implementation of the Cultural Programme, which will enable the participation of the citizens of Malta and Europe and will form an integral and sustainable part of the long-term social, economic and cultural development of Valletta. The Valletta 2018 Foundation is seeking to engage the services of a Press Officer who will be required to plan and organise media events taking place in the run up to and during 2018, as well as prepare any material for these media events.
The Press Officer will act under the guidance and supervision of the Valletta 2018 Communications team, but will be expected to work on his or her own initiative, in liaison with other teams, with drive and enthusiasm. S/he will report directly to the Executive Director of the Foundation when necessary.
The main duties of the Press Officer are:
- Organising media events, interviews and press conferences that promote the Cultural Programme, or aspects thereof
- Acting as the point of reference between local and foreign journalists and the Valletta 2018 Communications Department
- Preparing and writing articles and press releases focusing on the Cultural Programme
- Liaising with the Communications Administrators and the Logistics Officer to ensure that all preparation is carried out for media events such as press conferences, press visits, launches, exhibitions, inaugurations, etc.
- Monitoring current affairs and coverage and following up on news stories and articles
- Handling enquiries from journalists and other media contacts via telephone calls, email and written correspondence
- Identifying press opportunities such as interviews and articles
- Organising and implementing accreditation systems in liaison with the Communications and Programming Departments
- Developing schedules and programmes for international journalists hosted by Valletta 2018 during special events
- Assisting in further developing the Valletta 2018 International Communications Strategy
- Direct press packs and welcome packs
- Any other duties assigned from time to time by the Foundation as may be deemed necessary.
The selected candidate shall, for the period during which he/she is performing such duties, be accountable to the Communications Coordinator, where he/she is deployed.
The period during which the selected applicant is performing duties as Press Officer is from July 2017 till December 2018.
Applicants must, by the closing date of submission of the application, be in possession of, or have been approved for:
a first degree in communications or related/relevant discipline or appropriate comparable qualification at the time of application for the post, recognized by the Malta Qualifications Council and have a minimum of three years’ experience in a related area.
The Press Officer should have the following qualities:
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Works on own initiative
- Available and willing to work long hours without direct supervision
- Can work evenings and weekends only when necessary
- Can work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Have an eye for detail and be very accurate in their work
- Have imagination and good visual sense
Contract and salary
- This post is a contract for service contract on a definite basis.
- Payment will be negotiated according to experience and qualifications.
Interested applicants are to send an application letter together with a copy of their Curriculum Vitae on [email protected] by not later than Monday 29th May 2017, noon. Applicants should clearly specify they are applying for the post of ‘Press Officer’ in the subject of their email.