1 – Introduction
The Roberto Cimetta Fund and Valletta 2018 Foundation have been collaborating since 2015 to improve and increase mobility of artists in the Euro-Arab-Middle East region.
2 – General Roberto Cimetta Fund Criteria
The following general criteria apply to the fund:
- The aim of the travel must show potential for a constructive and long-term impact on the arts sector in a concrete, localised context in the Euro-Arab-Middle East geographical region;
- This means that travel must contribute to the applicant’s professional development, which in turn can be shared in a “networking” fashion that will benefit connecting artists and operators in the applicant’s own country or region so as to maintain, renew and develop contemporary arts practise;
- Travel can take place as soon as the call opens but in this case the applicant runs the risk of paying for travel without guarantee of the success of the application;
- No nationality or age criteria apply to the fund; however the applicant must live or work in the Euro-Arab-Middle East geographical region;
- The applicant’s profession must be one of the following; administrator in the cultural field, artist, creator, cultural organiser, performer, project leader in the cultural field, or teacher;
- The call aims to give financial support to applicants who do not have the financial resources to engage in the mobility being funded;
- Applications must be made by individuals rather than organisations. Only three members of a group can apply for a grant concerning the same project;
- The fund will only be granted to any one individual three times in total;
- Applicants must choose the cheapest form of transport and can only apply for one international return travel ticket and visa costs per application;
- Local transport, per diems and accommodation costs are not covered by the fund.
3 – Specific Valletta 2018 Criteria
The following specific criteria apply to the fund:
i) The application for mobility must directly address one of the four themes of Valletta 2018’s European Capital of Culture Cultural Programme, these being Island stories, future baroque and voyages as described below.
ii) Applicants must be either
- living or working in Malta, and developing projects specific to the Euro-Arab-Middle East geographical region;
- living or working in Europe and/or the Mediterranean Region, and wishing to travel to Malta to make an artistic intervention in the wider Euro-Arab-Middle East context;
- living or working in Europe and/or the Arab-Middle East region, and wishing to travel within the Euro-Arab-Middle East geographical region for collaborative work specific to Malta’s context in that region (for example, travelling to a third country to collaborate on a project that has a tangible link with Malta, or with a Maltese artist).
4 – Schedule
This call opens on the 1st June 2018 and will remain open to applications until 30th June 2018. Results will be announced in September 2018.
5 – Administration and Evaluation
The call will be administered by the Roberto Cimetta Fund, however evaluation will be carried out jointly by the Fund and the Valletta 2018 Foundation.
Funds will be released to successful applicants after travel and upon submission of proof of travel and written report.
6 – Rules
The following rules apply to the fund:
i) The decision of the evaluation board shall be final;
ii) The Roberto Cimetta Fund and the Valletta 2018 Foundation reserve the right to reject all applications submitted if the quality of the applications in not seen to be sufficiently high;
iii) Dates in the schedule must be respected and complied with in full; failure to do so may result in disqualification.
7 – Further Information
To apply, follow this link.