Valletta 2018 aims to give artists the opportunity to create new and exciting work to be presented as part of its Cultural Programme but which also has a future beyond the year and beyond our geographical boundaries. As part of its work, the Foundation has invited emerging choreographers to attend a 4-hour seminar with Director of the Certamen Coreografico de Madrid and Aerowaves co-founder Laura Kumin on how to get their work out in the world.
The Foundation is now inviting all attendees at the seminar to submit a proposal for a 40 to 50 minute contemporary dance work that is original and innovative. A jury will select up to two proposals to be part of a double-bill performance to be held in Summer 2018. It is important to note that each project only needs to have one team member on board that attended the workshop, and that it does not need to be the applicant, nor the choreographer. The applicants can be part of more than one project proposal, but the lead choreographer must vary from project to project.
During the development period, the Foundation will provide mentoring by guest artists to the selected choreographers as well as professional production of the performance.
But that is not the end of the road for this work as the artists will be provided with all the material necessary to submit their work for consideration to the Aerowaves network, thus bringing their work to the attention of more than 40 partners in 33 countries.
How to apply
Proposals must be submitted via email to [email protected] by not later than the 15th October 2017. All files attached to the application must be well labelled. Late applications will not be considered.
Proposals must include:
- A filled-in application form and a scan of the ID Card and/or Residence Permit of the Applicant
- A one-page description (not more than 1000 words in total) including the idea for the work, supported by relevant research and a statement on why you want to take part in this call and on your plans to present this work at international level.
- An estimate of the cost for creating and performing the work. This should not include production of the work as this will be taken care of by the Foundation.
- A 2-min sample of the movement research that you intend to develop (to be submitted as links to online videos on Vimeo or Youtube, with passwords if protected)
- A working, proposed stage design and technical rider, that is flexible and subject to changes during the development of the piece. This will better facilitate our understanding of your original vision for the proposed work.
- A declaration of commitment to submit the work for the consideration of the Aerowaves Twenty selection in 2018 for the 2019 selection
- Bios of the choreographer/s
- A list of required performers in terms of how many are required and specific skills sought. It is not required at this point to indicate the identity of performers as it is understood that auditions may be necessary in case the proposal is selected
- Sample of past work (to be submitted as links to online videos on Vimeo or Youtube, with passwords if protected)
If you are interested in this opportunity please download the below pdf for more information as well as the Application Form below. Good luck!